Thursday, January 15, 2009

We're shaping their little minds.....scary huh?

So you would think after being a mom for over 6 years with 2 very different children, that I wouldn't have quite so many life altering aha moments...but I'm still having them....often. It is totally freaking me out that I still have much more power in the life of my children than even I realize. Let me explain... Devlan is a stellar student (of course with such brilliant parents) and for the 2nd nine weeks he again received the Principal's Award for A Honor Roll. And with his eyes wide and sparkling with all the pride his little heart could muster he said, "Mommy I'm a nerd just like you!". I thought it was precious and sweet, but it didn't hit me right then, however this morning on my drive to work (sometimes the only quiet I get) I was totally floored. See, usually the word "nerd" in America has a negative connotation, you think high-waters, pocket protectors, glasses, homely, etc. However, in my home, it is a term of endearment. My husband for years has lovingly called me "his little nerd" and Devlan has been witness to this millions of times. So much so, that in our own little bubble Devlan was excited to be labeled a nerd. This may not rock your world, but it has mine. So if we have the power and influence to change how our child interprets this seemingly meaningless word, I have to believe that we can also affect how he takes in many other parts of his world. I know it's not by what I say that he learns the most, but rather how I act. So with that in mind here a few words that I pray I can teach him what they mean, not what the "world" says they mean, but what God's word says about them.
FAITH
SERVICE
LOVE
RACE
HOPE
JESUS
WORSHIP
JOY
SUFFERING

1 comment: